Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Close to completion....what a lengthy fit...
(15-12-2018, 07:48 PM)snezza Wrote: Is that the wooden worktop you posted about a while back....? You were having issues getting them to machine the edge up or something along those lines? The finished result looks nice......and did I say I liked the edge detail?..... Th_ROFLMAO

That's the one.... I would never attempt to push that through a spindle moulder.... they did CNC the shape (it was sent back though as they hadn't put the same radius on the b/bar overhang.... I then took the opportunity to machine the edges in there factory to save the mess on site. The boss of the manufacturers really got me angry later on when he said "Well, we let you use our factory to profile the worktop"... wow really...what an arse... all the tech they have there and I have to do it then they throw it back in my face with that insult....

Daz, your skills are so legendary now that I had to go through all 6 images to see which were real photos and which were a render!! I can see that the first is a render and the rest are photos. Have you applied a filter to the photos to make them look closer to the render image?

What finish did you apply to the wooden top Daz?  And was the top joined down the middle from 2 sections of worktop or was it custom made from staves...?

(16-12-2018, 07:40 AM)andy5405 Wrote: Daz, your skills are so legendary now that I had to go through all 6 images to see which were real photos and which were a render!! I can see that the first is a render and the rest are photos. Have you applied a filter to the photos to make them look closer to the render image?

Thanks Andy.... The photo's I applied 2.2 Gamma and the Auto Level and Auto Contrast just to lift the shadows out of darkness..
Raw Photo:

(16-12-2018, 11:57 AM)snezza Wrote: What finish did you apply to the wooden top Daz?  And was the top joined down the middle from 2 sections of worktop or was it custom made from staves...?

Liberon Finishing Oil applied, I have always used this stuff as it dries enough to give a sandable finish.... I applied the first two coats with a roller and the third with a rag.

The top was made from sized planks by CC.... took ages to get it and it was a bit worrying as it was bowed. When I inspected the end grain I thought it may eventually flatten out but you can never be sure... it had about a 10-15mm dip.... It did eventually flatten and I offered a better option to ask the customer if they would prefer the upstand to be wood... thus enabling me to fix to and help keep the top under control...

(16-12-2018, 12:18 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote:
(16-12-2018, 11:57 AM)snezza Wrote: What finish did you apply to the wooden top Daz?  And was the top joined down the middle from 2 sections of worktop or was it custom made from staves...?

Liberon Finishing Oil applied, I have always used this stuff as it dries enough to give a sandable finish.... I applied the first two coats with a roller and the third with a rag.

The top was made from side planks by CC.... took ages to get it and it was a bit worrying as it was bowed. When I inspected the end grain I thought it may eventually flatten out but you can never be sure... it had about a 10-15mm dip.... It did eventually flatten and I offered a better option to ask the customer if they would prefer the upstand to be wood... thus enabling me to fix to and help keep the top under control...

I've used this stuff on the last 3 projects that have had wooden worktops of some description.....

https://www.monocoat.co.uk/collections/i...rt-a-and-b

It does leave a nice finish, but takes a while for it to set. I've found it's best to leave it overnight before doing anything else to the top
Technically, it only requires one single coat and so far, I've not had any one come back saying it hasn't held up well.

I'll bear that Liberon Finishing Oil in mind for the next job with wooden tops.

(16-12-2018, 01:57 PM)snezza Wrote:
(16-12-2018, 12:18 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote:

The top was made from side planks by CC.... took ages to get it and it was a bit worrying as it was bowed. When I inspected the end grain I thought it may eventually flatten out but you can never be sure... it had about a 10-15mm dip.... It did eventually flatten and I offered a better option to ask the customer if they would prefer the upstand to be wood... thus enabling me to fix to and help keep the top under control...

I've used this stuff on the last 3 projects that have had wooden worktops of some description.....

https://www.monocoat.co.uk/collections/i...rt-a-and-b

It does leave a nice finish, but takes a while for it to set. I've found it's best to leave it overnight before doing anything else to the top
Technically, it only requires one single coat and so far, I've not had any one come back saying it hasn't held up well.

I'll bear that Liberon Finishing Oil in mind for the next job with wooden tops.

Never used that one, I think something similar is available for the Tuscan Finishing kit as I remember it has two tins also. My thought on some of the oils supplied or recommended can be washed away with detergents and thus break down the protection.... Being a semi varnish, which the Liberon seems to be, I think is more practical...

amazing work as always Daz!

(17-12-2018, 11:10 AM)Jayne Hiddleston Wrote: amazing work as always Daz!

Thanks Jayne, the customers are happy.... well they must be as they mentioned "I bet you want paying before Christmas then" rather than me having to ask for the final balance...