Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Biscuit
I've cut my first biscuit on a piece of scrap.  Very surprised how much vertical play there is (about 1mm) I was expecting it to be a tight fit.

This is the bit:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-biscuit...-2mm/86342

(12-12-2017, 12:46 PM)SpikeExeter Wrote: I've cut my first biscuit on a piece of scrap.  Very surprised how much vertical play there is (about 1mm) I was expecting it to be a tight fit.

This is the bit:

What does the cut measure 4mm?

The biscuits usually are a snug fit but I have known them a bit slack depending on temperature.
They are designed to swell slightly when PVA glue is applied to them. You could try wetting them and letting them dry to get a more snug fit..

(12-12-2017, 01:01 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 12:46 PM)SpikeExeter Wrote: I've cut my first biscuit on a piece of scrap.  Very surprised how much vertical play there is (about 1mm) I was expecting it to be a tight fit.

This is the bit:

What does the cut measure 4mm?

The biscuits usually are a snug fit but I have known them a bit slack depending on temperature.
They are designed to swell slightly when PVA glue is applied to them. You could try wetting them and letting them dry to get a more snug fit..

The cut is 4.23 according to my digital calipers.  I think the problem is the router (a good workman doesn't buy cheap tools), it's not entirely square to the base plate.  I'll try wetting sounds like a good solution....

(12-12-2017, 01:36 PM)SpikeExeter Wrote: The cut is 4.23 according to my digital calipers.  I think the problem is the router (a good workman doesn't buy cheap tools), it's not entirely square to the base plate.  I'll try wetting sounds like a good solution....

Yes, if the router base is not square to the spindle you will be getting a wider cut... try applying some masking tape layers to the router base to true it up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Daz Gizmo's post:
  • wjskitchens (12-12-2017 04:09 PM)

sorry guys, i thought this post was going to be something about "my first biscuit for the xmas season" I was hoping to open up this thread and find images of beautiful tasty xmas biscuits........but no.  Cry
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jayne Hiddleston's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (12-12-2017 02:31 PM)

(12-12-2017, 02:24 PM)Jayne Hiddleston Wrote: sorry guys, i thought this post was going to be something about "my first biscuit for the xmas season" I was hoping to open up this thread and find images of beautiful tasty xmas biscuits........but no.  Cry

Haha...

Just thinking about the problem I wonder if he bought standard Digestive Biscuits instead of the Chocolate coated ones....would be a much tighter fit with those.... Th_ROFLMAO

(12-12-2017, 01:44 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 01:36 PM)SpikeExeter Wrote: The cut is 4.23 according to my digital calipers.  I think the problem is the router (a good workman doesn't buy cheap tools), it's not entirely square to the base plate.  I'll try wetting sounds like a good solution....

Yes, if the router base is not square to the spindle you will be getting a wider cut... try applying some masking tape layers to the router base to true it up.

The moist biscuit solution is working fine!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpikeExeter's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (12-12-2017 03:37 PM)

Dunk'd it in some tea?

That's how I like mine.  Cheers

(12-12-2017, 05:38 PM)mister_mitch Wrote: Dunk'd it in some tea?

That's how I like mine.  Cheers

sponge fingers dunked in Salcombe Gin is not bad too.... Drink