Kitchen Fitters Forum
Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - Printable Version

+- Kitchen Fitters Forum (http://www.kitchenfittersforum.com)
+-- Forum: CAD Section - Help, Advice and Users Tips (http://www.kitchenfittersforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: Planit Fusion (http://www.kitchenfittersforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+--- Thread: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge (/showthread.php?tid=2271)

Pages: 1 2 3

Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - andy5405 - 07-10-2010

I've got a rep from Planit round next week. Pricing isn't as bad as I thought. He's already quoting 2250 plus VAT before the meeting. I was quoted 2450 plus when I first rang them. It is for the compact version which apparently has all the functionality of Fusion but doesn't render so well, do 3D walkthroughs or link to Google Sketchup. I reckon I will do 3-4 plans a month next year so it could cost as little as £55 per plan over 2011 and it's paid for.

Am I trying to talk myself into this and finding a way of justifying it? I have tried Sketchup and can see that it would be awesome but that will be no use as I will almost certainly have a breakdown before I crack it! I've tried Kitchen Draw and it's OK but not massively impressive unless I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

I've also got another option which is a guy who will take my current 2D plans and reproduce them at £30 a go using Planit.

RE: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - INTO-FIT - 07-10-2010

Don't be taken in by the software..

it's the trust in the person selling it, not the bit of paper.

RE: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - jonny round boy - 07-10-2010

andy5405 Wrote:It is for the compact version which apparently has all the functionality of Fusion but doesn't render so well, do 3D walkthroughs or link to Google Sketchup.

So you can't render good images with it? I thought that was the whole point? As far as I can see, the only reason to use something like Planit is the photo-real rendering. If this 'lite' version doesn't do that, then why do you need it?

andy5405 Wrote:Am I trying to talk myself into this and finding a way of justifying it?

Sounds like you might be, I'm afraid.

andy5405 Wrote:I've tried Kitchen Draw and it's OK but not massively impressive unless I'm missing something.

KD is a basic program, but a good one. The quality of the images isn't state-of-the-art, but it sounds like this 'lite' version of Planit can't do that either.

andy5405 Wrote:I've also got another option which is a guy who will take my current 2D plans and reproduce them at £30 a go using Planit.

So why don't you do that for a few months and see what happens, before spending upwards of two grand? If it doesn't get you any more jobs than the 2D plans you're currently using, why buy Planit?

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that having spangly 3D renders will get you more/better jobs. It won't. It's a nice addition, but that's all it is.

Hope that helps!

RE: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - marc1106 - 07-10-2010

my suppliers use Planit and they are happy with all of it exept the constant updates that they have to pay out for then theres the 2 weeks of getting used to the changes and having to update the costings to it as it is the version that adds up as it plans, apart from that it well worth the money!Th_ROFLMAO
you say you will be doing 3-4 plans per month next year, but what you seemed to have missed is 3-4 plans and 3-4 installs are to different things so the programme may not pay for itself! unless you charge for planning Cheers in conclusion id stick to bunging someone £30 a plan!

RE: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - FUZZY BEAR - 07-10-2010

Ive used planit and compusoft and compusoft is a piece of cake to use and you get good pics etc, if you are going to spend this sort of money go for compusoft or just keep using the planit guy for 30 quid a go!!!

RE: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - junior - 07-10-2010

i use KD DRAW and it works for me, can do kitchens and bathrooms

RE: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - ableinstallation - 07-10-2010

Yeah I would recommend compusoft far easier system and also cheaper.

RE: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - andy5405 - 07-10-2010

Thanks for the Compusoft recommendation. It's actually more expensive to buy than full blown Planit Fusion but can be leased for £100.00/month which sounds very interesting. That includes all updates.

RE: Thinking of taking the Planit plunge - Stretch - 10-10-2010

This subject has been covered dozens of times here but I'm always happy to add my opinion.

As mentioned elsewhere, having a nice set of glossy renders won't always win you a job although it can help.

You have to consider the cost of packages such as Planit and how long it will take you to get your money back if you decide to part with your money. I would only consider purchasing Planit if a) I had a showroom and b) I had about four teams of fitters going out and installing kitchens for me while I sit on my arse drinking coffee and inventing quotes.

If you have little CAD experience then I would seriously consider teaching yourself with Kitchendraw. I've been using it for years and have no complaints. Have a look at this thread where I've posted some KD pics and a pic of the finished job to compare with:

http://www.kitchenfittersforum.com/showthread.php?tid=2069