Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4K Laptop render speed.
Hi all,

I’m currently running a Dell XPS laptop (i7 512SSD 16GB) and pretty happy with it overall. It’s the standard FHD screen. Mainly used for Articad. 
Dell also offer a 4K touch screen as well as my standard FHD (1920x1080) in this model,  just wondering - would the 4K screen slow down render times by a noticeable amount? Also the 4k screen tends to be a bit more reflective apparently - anyone using one find this a problem? Any scrolling issues or do you set screen at 1080?

I have the opportunity to change mine for the 4K version at minimal cost but unsure if I’m better of as I am with FHD. 

Cheers.

(11-08-2018, 08:28 AM)twolines Wrote: Hi all,

I’m currently running a Dell XPS laptop (i7 512SSD 16GB) and pretty happy with it overall. It’s the standard FHD screen. Mainly used for Articad. 
Dell also offer a 4K touch screen as well as my standard FHD (1920x1080) in this model,  just wondering - would the 4K screen slow down render times by a noticeable amount? Also the 4k screen tends to be a bit more reflective apparently - anyone using one find this a problem? Any scrolling issues or do you set screen at 1080?

I have the opportunity to change mine for the 4K version at minimal cost but unsure if I’m better of as I am with FHD. 

Cheers.

Hi

If you render in your ArtiCAD GUI then yes the larger the resolution (more pixels) the longer it will take to render. You could test this by using render to file and save out with the same pixel dimensions as the 4K Screen to get an idea of how much longer it takes although this method of saving out is broken down into blocks to help with performance and memory consumption. the down side of using Render to file though you loose the ability the use the Tone Mapping controls.
You will of course have a much more detailed rendered image but I rarely render anything larger the 1000 x 1664 pixels as I get just enough detail for printing out on A4, saving as PDF and viewing on a large TV for customer presentations.

I have not seen ArtiCAD used on a 4K screen but you could find it harder to click on buttons and select things as some will be much smaller to see etc...

Thanks for the reply. Smile
TBH that sounds pretty much what I suspected, no real benefit to going to 4K as far as Articad is concerned and potentially it could actually be worse than current setup. Certainly don’t want icons/small parts, etc to be any smaller than they are currently. 

Cheers.

I opted for a standard 1080p screen - there is no benefit to a 4K screen on a laptop really. 

Virtually every program is made for a 1920x1080 res so by adding in the 4K option it just makes it work 4x harder.