Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACTUALLY customising a unit (not just repositioning a handle)...
Hi all,

So, I'm trying to cooly/calmly learn my way around articad, despite the huge lack of learning resources (the online content they provide doesn't even scratch the surface!).

I need to draw an integrated fridge freezer... in frame, with an overhead storage cabinet.

All frame components are 38mm thick.
The door on the freezer (bottom door) and the door on the fridge don't have a frame rail separating them.
Between the fridge door, and the overhead storage door, there is a frame rail.

How the hell do I get it to do this?!! I've tried all sorts, but nowt has worked!!!

In a state of panic, I've been looking at Autokitchen. From their website it sounds like the above really wouldn't be an issue?

Prior to purchasing Articad, no searches brought Autokitchen to my attention... as soon as I started loosing the plot with it, I've heard it mentioned six/seven times!!! Ha!

(27-12-2017, 03:08 PM)Petercochrane Wrote: Hi all,

So, I'm trying to cooly/calmly learn my way around articad, despite the huge lack of learning resources (the online content they provide doesn't even scratch the surface!).

I need to draw an integrated fridge freezer... in frame, with an overhead storage cabinet.

All frame components are 38mm thick.
The door on the freezer (bottom door) and the door on the fridge don't have a frame rail separating them.
Between the fridge door, and the overhead storage door, there is a frame rail.

How the hell do I get it to do this?!! I've tried all sorts, but nowt has worked!!!

In a state of panic, I've been looking at Autokitchen. From their website it sounds like the above really wouldn't be an issue?

Prior to purchasing Articad, no searches brought Autokitchen to my attention... as soon as I started loosing the plot with it, I've heard it mentioned six/seven times!!! Ha!

Hi Pete
How long have you been using ArtiCAD and have you had any of the training that ArtiCAD offer?

With regards to your problem is this what you are after?

Pretty much exactly that Dan; thanks for the prompt reply!

I’ve only been using it a very short while, and had the 1 day training session, but I’ve just been a tad shocked by the lack of a manual of any kind. This forum has been the only real source of any ‘real world’ information  on the workings of it!

Any tips on how to get going would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Edit: DAZ! Not Dan. Tossing autocorrect!  Crazy2

(27-12-2017, 11:40 PM)Petercochrane Wrote: Pretty much exactly that Daz; thanks for the prompt reply!

I’ve only been using it a very short while, and had the 1 day training session, but I’ve just been a tad shocked by the lack of a manual of any kind. This forum has been the only real source of any ‘real world’ information  on the workings of it!

Thanks again,

Find attached the *.kit file with the housing

Basically I made it from using two TFF housings and customised the main one that is dimensioned and the other to create the FF doors.
Materials for some elements turned to air so they don't show in rendering. Other elements turned off.

Attached Files
.zip   In-Frame TFF Housing.zip (Size: 18.85 KB / Downloads: 3)

(28-12-2017, 07:52 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote:
(27-12-2017, 11:40 PM)Petercochrane Wrote: Pretty much exactly that Daz; thanks for the prompt reply!

Thanks again,

Find attached the *.kit file with the housing

Basically I made it from using two TFF housings and customised the main one that is dimensioned and the other to create the FF doors.
Materials for some elements turned to air so they don't show in rendering. Other elements turned off.

It's so generous of you to take the time to do that, ta.

However... doesn't it strike you as ridiculous that that's how it has to be done? This is expensive software, that has supposedly been honed over 15 years or so. I'm so disappointed with it!

I've got a demo of Autokitchen on Thursday... it sounds so much more suited to the bespoke market (that said, I thought that of Articad at the time of purchasing!).

If anyone wants to buy my licence... (not sure if that's possible!)

Thanks again Daz.

(28-12-2017, 08:49 PM)Petercochrane Wrote: It's so generous of you to take the time to do that, ta.

However... doesn't it strike you as ridiculous that that's how it has to be done? This is expensive software, that has supposedly been honed over 15 years or so. I'm so disappointed with it!

I've got a demo of Autokitchen on Thursday... it sounds so much more suited to the bespoke market (that said, I thought that of Articad at the time of purchasing!).

Thanks again Daz.

Depends on many things regarding how "Bespoke" you want the software to be. Catalogues could be made for you in both ArtiCAD and Autokitchen.
Do you manufacture yourselves or use a supplier for the in-frame jobs?
Have to emailed or spoken to anyone at ArtiCAD yet regarding this and even your problem/s?

ArtiCAD have told me they do not regularly monitor any external forum and require us to contact them directly as per this below:

"This forum is not a suitable platform for users to report and resolve issues relating to graphics – as it is not part of our continuously improving process - and never will be.

Our team members are not able to scour an external forum to see if any issues have been reported or spend time posting responses and resolutions on an external forum. That would be akin to asking your fitters (if you operate a fitting team) to look on a general kitchen review website periodically to see if your customers have reported any snags relating to your installations. I think you’d encourage your customers to report any issues directly as they’d get a better service from you and the same applies to us."

(29-12-2017, 03:08 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote:
(28-12-2017, 08:49 PM)Petercochrane Wrote: It's so generous of you to take the time to do that, ta.

Thanks again Daz.

Depends on many things regarding how "Bespoke" you want the software to be. Catalogues could be made for you in both ArtiCAD and Autokitchen.
Do you manufacture yourselves or use a supplier for the in-frame jobs?
Have to emailed or spoken to anyone at ArtiCAD yet regarding this and even your problem/s?

ArtiCAD have told me they do not regularly monitor any external forum and require us to contact them directly as per this below:

"This forum is not a suitable platform for users to report and resolve issues relating to graphics – as it is not part of our continuously improving process - and never will be.

Our team members are not able to scour an external forum to see if any issues have been reported or spend time posting responses and resolutions on an external forum. That would be akin to asking your fitters (if you operate a fitting team) to look on a general kitchen review website periodically to see if your customers have reported any snags relating to your installations. I think you’d encourage your customers to report any issues directly as they’d get a better service from you and the same applies to us."

I thought in the last newsletter ArtiCad said they are working on framed door options. A software update should be out early 18, so probably mid-year!

Sorry- I suppose a little more info about me may help paint a better picture of the situation.

I'm a sole trader, and have been for nearly 12 years. I design, manufacture, finish and install kitchens and fitted furniture in a variety of styles, but mostly in-frame kitchens produces the bulk of my turnover.

I'm desperate to not sound slanderous regarding Articad. It is a hugely respected software, and produces some amazing images. However it seems to achieve bespoke in frame cabinets involves amalgamating numerous cabinets and end panels. I've never 'cobbled' anything together in the workshop, or on SketchUp, and as such always achieve an accurate result.

Yes; I've spoken to Articad. I had a rep down to see me prior to Christmas, and I have a meeting scheduled for early New Year. I can't and won't fault their desire to help. However... (as any sole trader will know is not an exaggeration) when I'm sat at my desk at 11:00pm trying to get a quote put together and I can't figure out how to do something, and I have no manual to refer to, and there is no info on the site to aide me, it's a bit of a bind!

The sound of an in-frame update is very appealing. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. I had three kitchens to quote for prior to Christmas that have all received SketchUp drawings despite me having a dedicated laptop with Articad on it!

Ho-hum!

(29-12-2017, 09:13 PM)Petercochrane Wrote: Sorry- I suppose a little more info about me may help paint a better picture of the situation.

I'm a sole trader, and have been for nearly 12 years. I design, manufacture, finish and install kitchens and fitted furniture in a variety of styles, but mostly in-frame kitchens produces the bulk of my turnover.

I'm desperate to not sound slanderous regarding Articad. It is a hugely respected software, and produces some amazing images. However it seems to achieve bespoke in frame cabinets involves amalgamating numerous cabinets and end panels. I've never 'cobbled' anything together in the workshop, or on SketchUp, and as such always achieve an accurate result.

Yes; I've spoken to Articad. I had a rep down to see me prior to Christmas, and I have a meeting scheduled for early New Year. I can't and won't fault their desire to help. However... (as any sole trader will know is not an exaggeration) when I'm sat at my desk at 11:00pm trying to get a quote put together and I can't figure out how to do something, and I have no manual to refer to, and there is no info on the site to aide me, it's a bit of a bind!

The sound of an in-frame update is very appealing. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. I had three kitchens to quote for prior to Christmas that have all received SketchUp drawings despite me having a dedicated laptop with Articad on it!

Ho-hum!

Interesting.... Similar to how I worked when I had my own business...

So you used Sketchup which is very capable of producing bespoke stuff... do you create 3D renders with it for your customers then?

(30-12-2017, 03:50 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote:
(29-12-2017, 09:13 PM)Petercochrane Wrote: Sorry- I suppose a little more info about me may help paint a better picture of the situation.

Ho-hum!

Interesting.... Similar to how I worked when I had my own business...

So you used Sketchup which is very capable of producing bespoke stuff... do you create 3D renders with it for your customers then?

That's the main reason I went for Articad... I tried some trials of various rendering plugins like podium/shaderlight etc and then Vray (which is amazing) but they are so graphics card/processor hungry and a separate  skill set really that I felt Articad was tailored for what I want.

I think the accuracy/freedom that you can work in SketchUp with is so good. It's where Articad needs to be in my mind- but I know nothing about the processes involved with making it work that way.

Currently I just use layout to produce some basic 3d representations and elevations. It looks okay, but I really need to get the photo realism/HD thing nailed!

On a separate note, I do really enjoy the computer aspect. It's quite early days for me yet (as you may have gathered!) but if I had the know how, and the hardware, I'd definitely go down the Vray route.

(30-12-2017, 04:37 PM)Petercochrane Wrote: That's the main reason I went for Articad... I tried some trials of various rendering plugins like podium/shaderlight etc and then Vray (which is amazing) but they are so graphics card/processor hungry and a separate  skill set really that I felt Articad was tailored for what I want.

I think the accuracy/freedom that you can work in SketchUp with is so good. It's where Articad needs to be in my mind- but I know nothing about the processes involved with making it work that way.

Currently I just use layout to produce some basic 3d representations and elevations. It looks okay, but I really need to get the photo realism/HD thing nailed!

On a separate note, I do really enjoy the computer aspect. It's quite early days for me yet (as you may have gathered!) but if I had the know how, and the hardware, I'd definitely go down the Vray route.

Peter, so did you have a "hand's on" demo of ArtiCAD before you decided to commit to it?

The computer designing aspect is what really changed my mind from being on the tools although I still do a little of it mainly putting other people's work right before the customer receives it...