Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphics download from ArtiCad
Good morning everyone. 
My boss has an Articad pro package updated a couple of months ago. We pay monthly over 3 years. My question is about ArtiCad's graphics downloads. Some of the suppliers we use are listed for free others have £150 or £200 price tag. As a pro customer, we were told they would be free of charge but calling the office last week was told no we need to pay! It seems it depends on who you talk to. 

I get more sense (believe it or not) on here so can someone tell me if they are free or not. Ta.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark Stewart's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (03-11-2017 12:02 PM), Joe Laughlin (03-11-2017 12:06 PM)

(03-11-2017, 11:17 AM)Mark Stewart Wrote: Good morning everyone. 
My boss has an Articad pro package updated a couple of months ago. We pay monthly over 3 years. My question is about ArtiCad's graphics downloads. Some of the suppliers we use are listed for free others have £150 or £200 price tag. As a pro customer, we were told they would be free of charge but calling the office last week was told no we need to pay! It seems it depends on who you talk to. 

I get more sense (believe it or not) on here so can someone tell me if they are free or not. Ta.

Hi Mark

Yes some do cost money and this is due as I remember that the brand catalogues that cost probably did not pay for ArtiCAD to create the graphics, more due to user requests for them maybe. Many of us know it can be very labour intensive creating them so they cannot always supply them free of charge.

Maybe Charles (Snappy CGI) will clarify what I have said and in more detail...

Only the one's that are free are free! Th_ROFLMAO  Sorry!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joe Laughlin's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (03-11-2017 12:06 PM)

I make my own now! Think Articad could be a little clearer why some are not free. Also paying for something before seeing the quality?  ThumbUp
  • Daz Gizmo (03-11-2017 12:17 PM)

On a possitive note the Elica models are very good and free! ThumbUp
  • Daz Gizmo (03-11-2017 12:45 PM)

(03-11-2017, 12:05 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote:

Hi Mark

Yes some do cost money and this is due as I remember that the brand catalogues that cost probably did not pay for ArtiCAD to create the graphics, more due to user requests for them maybe. Many of us know it can be very labour intensive creating them so they cannot always supply them free of charge.

Maybe Charles (Snappy CGI) will clarify what I have said and in more detail...

Hi, thanks for the reply. Its just being told one thing by someone then totally the opposite from someone else at ArtiCad. I don't mind paying for the graphics but often all you get are colours...

(03-11-2017, 12:12 PM)Joe Laughlin Wrote: I make my own now! Think Articad could be a little clearer why some are not free. Also paying for something before seeing the quality?  ThumbUp

I have never built my own units before, I would not know where to start. Many moons ago I made bathroom towel rads as they were not available on 2020 at the time. They took ages but looked the part, that was 20 years ago when CAD standards were not so high!

You are right about seeing before you buy. You would have thought suppliers would want the best graphics for their products but this does not always apply.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark Stewart's post:
  • Joe Laughlin (03-11-2017 03:22 PM), Lukeh1101 (03-11-2017 04:23 PM)

Exactly that Daz, 

Graphics cost thousands of £'s to create a manufacturer catalogue - so when a supplier has a partnership with ArtiCAD the graphics are free as the supplier has helped fund the development. 

Graphics which are chargeable are due to ArtiCAD making the graphics without funding from the supplier, probably created due to customer demand. ArtiCAD has never made a profit from chargeable catalogues - it is more for trying to recuperate some of the cost.

ArtiCAD would much prefer to give customers all graphics for free, so nag the shit out of your suppliers to create a partnership with ArtiCAD and you'll get them for free.  Th_ROFLMAO
[-] The following 4 users Like Snappy CGI's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (03-11-2017 05:06 PM), Jayne Hiddleston (06-11-2017 09:45 AM), Joe Laughlin (03-11-2017 05:03 PM), Meepster (03-11-2017 05:03 PM)

Talking from my own personal circumstances, I use the Siemens catalogue the most when it comes to appliances, but as you know, the models are the 2014 versions. If Siemens paid Articad for the original renders, then why haven't they paid to have the old models updated to the new models .......? The same question could be asked about other appliance manufacturers.....
[-] The following 1 user Likes snezza's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (03-11-2017 06:20 PM)

... It boggles me as it would help sell their product - slowly but surely they're seeing the light lol

(04-11-2017, 01:44 AM)Snappy CGI Wrote: ... It boggles me as it would help sell their product - slowly but surely they're seeing the light lol

It does seem incredibly short sighted, when taken as a percentage of their marketing budget. Though kitchens are not my thing, I wonder what percentage of their kit is sold in conjunction with a CAD design.

(04-11-2017, 03:50 AM)Mingerz Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 01:44 AM)Snappy CGI Wrote: ... It boggles me as it would help sell their product - slowly but surely they're seeing the light lol

It does seem incredibly short sighted, when taken as a percentage of their marketing budget. Though kitchens are not my thing, I wonder what percentage of their kit is sold in conjunction with a CAD design.

A huge percentage in my experience. Customers often come in wanting to use a specific supplier they have had a positive past experience with, but when they see Neff in my designs they love the look of it, sleek, streamlined and are converted. Same with Quooker taps. Its an absolute no brainer and personally i think it beggars belief that the manufacturers cant see how important this is. If we cant show the product, how can we sell it?  Doh
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jayne Hiddleston's post:
  • Mark Stewart (06-11-2017 09:29 PM)

(06-11-2017, 09:55 AM)Jayne Hiddleston Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 03:50 AM)Mingerz Wrote:

A huge percentage in my experience. Customers often come in wanting to use a specific supplier they have had a positive past experience with, but when they see Neff in my designs they love the look of it, sleek, streamlined and are converted. Same with Quooker taps. Its an absolute no brainer and personally i think it beggars belief that the manufacturers cant see how important this is. If we cant show the product, how can we sell it?  Doh

I do agree but at the same time I do have to be honest here. I have put a good number of manufacturers in touch with Articad and geared them up to pay for their graphics to be drawn. My personal experience is that although the UK office (at least many of the keen staff) want these manufacturers to get involved and work with them, the reality is that at the current time graphics coming from the South Africa office are extremely slow to be produced and often are not correct and/or are of low/poor quality..... if they even get that far. I have been assured that new systems are in place to speed this up and with Tobias Waltham now being charged with supplier relations I sincerely hope that things improve. Time will tell but I fear other software companies will try take a slice of any unhappy/frustrated Articad users.

Okay.... a bit of a guessing game for you...

And those I have told or know please don't spoil it LOL...

Take the Caple Brand of appliances.... How much do you think it would cost Caple (Maurice Lay) to have there Catalogue built in CAD?

We can only stretch to BFH as a prize I am afraid with very limited mileage ... Th_ROFLMAO

I would guess at 30k
[-] The following 1 user Likes owen's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (12-11-2017 06:49 PM)

(12-11-2017, 06:33 PM)owen Wrote: I would guess at 30k

Bit More...

I'll do it for 30k

I couldn't believe it when my supplier told me how much they have to pay to get their catalogues on CAD packages (which is where my £30k estimate came from).  Good money if you can get it!

Well i know how much to charge for next time then! Th_ROFLMAO

[-] The following 3 users Like Joe Laughlin's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (13-11-2017 03:28 PM), Lukeh1101 (13-11-2017 05:22 PM), Mark Stewart (13-11-2017 09:15 PM)

(13-11-2017, 03:05 PM)Joe Laughlin Wrote: Well i know how much to charge for next time then! Th_ROFLMAO

I will put you out of your misery.
I will take the BFH then...

£38K....
Yeah it might sound a lot to build a complete catalogue but it takes skill and many man hours to make the models. In the scheme of things and marketing this can be easily affordable by most well known brands...
[-] The following 2 users Like Daz Gizmo's post:
  • Joe Laughlin (13-11-2017 03:29 PM), Mark Stewart (13-11-2017 09:15 PM)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Articad graphics into sketchup Jayne Hiddleston 8 1,017 02-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Jayne Hiddleston
  Articad download magga 3 1,011 14-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Last Post: diamondwes