Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second division Articad Images
Well I am a little embarrassed about showing off my work. I thought I was OK until looking at some of the great work on here but I'm still learning. Any feed back would be good.

resim

resim

Mark
They look good but to dark for my taste. We have to alter the Tone Mapping as the render engine can make bad judgements with exposure. Most of the materials out of the box are not that good a quality as our eyes are drawn to the saturated Greens and Reds that take over like the Roses, green leaf house plant and bottle tops.

The bump map on the wall tiles in the second render needs a bit of work as the grout is sticking out and needs to be inverted. we cannot always rely on using the diffuse image as it uses a greyscale image of this which is pushing the tiles back depending on how grey it is.

Here is a quick edit of your render using photo editing. It is better to get it close to the brightness level you want using the render engine as post editing outside of RedSDK can introduce artifacts. I desaturated the colours slightly, increased exposure, appled a gamma "S" curve and an unsharp mask. Makes it pop more I think but it's personal taste to a degree.

There is a problem with curved doors which this clearly shows and it makes us think that they are a different colour. It is down to the mesh smoothing which you can see that the reflection is slightly curved (bowing out) so it causing a annoying shadow effect.

resim

My findings on ArtiCAD's Mesh smoothing on Curved doors... Not sure if all curved doors in other catalogues are the same as this?

resim

(21-05-2017, 04:11 PM)Daz Gizmo Wrote: Mark
They look good but to dark for my taste. We have to alter the Tone Mapping as the render engine can make bad judgements with exposure. Most of the materials out of the box are not that good a quality as our eyes are drawn to the saturated Greens and Reds that take over like the Roses, green leaf house plant and bottle tops.

The bump map on the wall tiles in the second render needs a bit of work as the grout is sticking out and needs to be inverted. we cannot always rely on using the diffuse image as it uses a greyscale image of this which is pushing the tiles back depending on how grey it is.

Here is a quick edit of your render using photo editing. It is better to get it close to the brightness level you want using the render engine as post editing outside of RedSDK can introduce artifacts. I desaturated the colours slightly, increased exposure, appled a gamma "S" curve and an unsharp mask. Makes it pop more I think but it's personal taste to a degree.

There is a problem with curved doors which this clearly shows and it makes us think that they are a different colour. It is down to the mesh smoothing which you can see that the reflection is slightly curved (bowing out) so it causing a annoying shadow effect.

resim

Thank you so much. Was your previous job working with Bill Gates?
I went back into ArtiCad and replaced the wall tiles in the image with a standard generic software style but unfortunately, they still looked poor. So will look into it and maybe just use 5 or 6 styles that work for me.
Anyway, I rerendered image to file (never done that before) not sure of the advantage. Then opened it up in Windows Picture then pressed the magic wand and wow what a difference. You are so right about the clarity and the light. I need to get a few decent accessories as with the increased definition the ones I used looked poor.
Thanks again for this valuable lesson.

resim
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark Stewart's post:
  • Daz Gizmo (21-05-2017 09:48 PM)

I will add more light next time as against yours it still looks a bit dark.
  • Daz Gizmo (21-05-2017 09:48 PM)

I think it looks great Mark! I am very conscious I spend way too much time trying to get my designs to look the best they can - spending hours perfecting little details that in reality - the client probably doesnt even notice. However as we do work at the higher end with our kitchens, I think it is often worth the additional time and effort and I am lucky that my boss's understand this. If I was given this as my initial kitchen design proposal I would be very impressed  ThumbUp check out sketchup warehouse for some propping models - however sometimes they can be very hit or miss in terms of quality. You will notice with my designs that I use the same ones over and over again because as Daz and Joe rightly pointed out to me recently - although I am sick of using them in all my different designs - the client has never seen them before.

They look great to me Mark - wish mine were as good!
[-] The following 1 user Likes stejoke's post:
  • Mark Stewart (22-05-2017 07:23 PM)

(22-05-2017, 08:41 AM)Jayne Hiddleston Wrote: I think it looks great Mark! I am very conscious I spend way too much time trying to get my designs to look the best they can - spending hours perfecting little details that in reality - the client probably doesnt even notice. However as we do work at the higher end with our kitchens, I think it is often worth the additional time and effort and I am lucky that my boss's understand this. If I was given this as my initial kitchen design proposal I would be very impressed  ThumbUp check out sketchup warehouse for some propping models - however sometimes they can be very hit or miss in terms of quality. You will notice with my designs that I use the same ones over and over again because as Daz and Joe rightly pointed out to me recently - although I am sick of using them in all my different designs - the client has never seen them before.

Thanks Jayne
I also spend too long sometimes on a kitchen design. Its so annoying when you produce a detailed image then spot something wrong and have to redo the whole render.

Yes I use sketchup, I've downloaded a few good items but often have trouble. Last week I was looking for a wall mounted TV. I found a few but they would not open up in Articad. I ended up putting a Netflix image over a thin black cube on the wall.

You are right about our customers, I'm sure they have know idea of the work involved. Most of them think you click a button and "BAM" a design pops onto the screen!

(22-05-2017, 06:13 PM)stejoke Wrote: They look great to me Mark - wish mine were as good!

Thanks, but I've still got my Articad L plates on. Now give me a 2020 programme and .....

resim

One I sold this week. 
Thanks to Daz Gizmo help I think my images have got a tad better. Had major issue with the hood render so sprayed it grey in paint.net. That bloody Smeg kettle took 50 minutes to render, now saved looks great.

Thanks for everyone comments
  • Daz Gizmo (01-06-2017 12:58 PM)

Mark, looking good. There are some posts on here regarding st/steel settings which helps for extractors.

Would have made the black parts of the kettle chrome or st/steel and the yellow low gloss. Again not sure but if ovens and hob are st/steel then again i would have them done. With regards the kettle there is a check box when importing in sketchup models that you can untick if the file is really big which helps with loading in. Remember to save them as a favourite so they will load in instantly with the material settings when using next time.

ThumbUp

Looks great Mark - is that tap actually one of the Quooker boiling water taps? It seems really big? If so - where did you get this model from?

(30-05-2017, 08:51 AM)Jayne Hiddleston Wrote: Looks great Mark - is that tap actually one of the Quooker boiling water taps? It seems really big? If so - where did you get this model from?

Hi Jayne,

The customer ended up spending only £120 on her tap. So my attempt to sell high end here did not work. The tap render was an ArtiCad standard model. Customers who saw The Gadget Show may be put off with the 18 year payback for a Quooker tap. If Quooker were to add a tea bag filter system to speed up by brew time I'd buy one!

(30-05-2017, 08:50 AM)Joe Laughlin Wrote: Mark, looking good. There are some posts on here regarding st/steel settings which helps for extractors.

Would have made the black parts of the kettle chrome or st/steel and the yellow low gloss. Again not sure but if ovens and hob are st/steel then again i would have them done. With regards the kettle there is a check box when importing in sketchup models that you can untick if the file is really big which helps with loading in. Remember to save them as a favourite so they will load in instantly with the material settings when using next time.

ThumbUp

Yes, I did alter the S/S but my problem was the reflection from a very close spot light. A bit of  trial and error, more error at the moment.
First thing I did was to save the Smeg Kettle in favourites, I didn't want to go through that again. Good idea about changing the handle colour and changing the tone of the yellow.

Thanks for your feedback