Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
starting up
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice as to starting up a interior installation service (Kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms). The guy I'm going into business with is a registered gas engineer and I also have a lot of good electrician contacts. what I would be looking for is maybe some good contacts for contracting work in the north east of England, also looking for some advice on some saws, we have most of the tools we need apart form a good table saw and miter saw, also what sort of blades to use etc, from what I remember during my apprenticeship we used triple chip saw blades for good finishes on MFC.

Any advice is welcome apart form advice to not bother starting up, so if anyone can help please feel free to post and link contacts and tool suppliers.

Thanks in advance Stefan.

also any advice on pricing up jobs would be extremely helpful

Stefano Wrote:Hi all, I'm looking for some advice as to starting up a interior installation service (Kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms). The guy I'm going into business with is a registered gas engineer and I also have a lot of good electrician contacts. what I would be looking for is maybe some good contacts for contracting work in the north east of England, also looking for some advice on some saws, we have most of the tools we need apart form a good table saw and miter saw, also what sort of blades to use etc, from what I remember during my apprenticeship we used triple chip saw blades for good finishes on MFC.

Any advice is welcome apart form advice to not bother starting up, so if anyone can help please feel free to post and link contacts and tool suppliers.

Thanks in advance Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

A little back ground from you always helps in these types of post as we don't want to sound like we're trying to teach you how to suck eggs as they say.

Will you be having a showroom as well as a factory?

Hi thanks for the reply.
We will not be using a showroom, and we will be working out of a garage for now as we are just starting out, I've been in the trade for 10 years and just looking to set up on my own with a friend, so all we would be looking for at the moment is a good reliable table saw and miter saw for starting out, something that's going to be big enough to cut big profile pelmets and cornice. I have a plenty of pictures of jobs that I have done in the past if that's any help.

I'm new to this posting on forums, so bear with me if I'm not making much sense.
Just looking for help and advice at this stage.

Thanks again.

Stefano Wrote:Hi thanks for the reply.
We will not be using a showroom, and we will be working out of a garage for now as we are just starting out, I've been in the trade for 10 years and just looking to set up on my own with a friend, so all we would be looking for at the moment is a good reliable table saw and miter saw for starting out, something that's going to be big enough to cut big profile pelmets and cornice. I have a plenty of pictures of jobs that I have done in the past if that's any help.

I'm new to this posting on forums, so bear with me if I'm not making much sense.

Thanks again.

Well one of the best mitre saw I know of is the Festool kapex 120 and I'm sure It will do all you could ever ask for, it's not cheap though.

As for table saw are you sure your not after a rail saw? Have a look at a few and see what you think. The Festool TS55 is a great one

Sorry if I sound like a Festool whore but you were asking for good ones Big GrinThumbUp

Saws are how long is the string thing, if you have the wallet i would go with a kapax top of the shop then the 300mm dew alt or makita. if the pennies are tight as new start ups can be. use the saw you have as a large % of fits are small section cornice, if there is a large one, hire it for the day or half day £20.

make a plan of who will be doing what i.e. your mate has to put a shift in, whoever is doing the planning and early running around, take it into acc.

being on the east coast you have some good suppliers there, having a place you can drive to to get a replacement item is a big +.

good luck, it is a hard time to enter into any new business. but if you are a hard working pair and turn out work you are very proud of, then you will prevail.
FESTOOL CHEAPER THAN mafell and Doesn't look like an Aldi special.LOL

Project-Jon Wrote:
Stefano Wrote:Hi thanks for the reply.

Thanks again.

Well one of the best mitre saw I know of is the Festool kapex 120 and I'm sure It will do all you could ever ask for, it's not cheap though.

As for table saw are you sure your not after a rail saw? Have a look at a few and see what you think. The Festool TS55 is a great one

Sorry if I sound like a Festool whore but you were asking for good ones Big GrinThumbUp

hey any advice is good advice, they are a bit out of our price range but its something to think about in the future, I've personally never used a rail saw before so I think I'll stick with what I know for now.
thanks for the advice ThumbUp
also what would be the minimum wattage cutting speed etc. we would need to be thinking of bearing in mind that we would mainly be using it to cut MFC?

Hi Stefano,

You say you have been in the trade for 10 years. As a fitter?

What tools do you have at the moment?

Are you planning on manufacturing the kitchens or just fitting them?

Snezza.

snezza 31 Wrote:Hi Stefano,

You say you have been in the trade for 10 years. As a fitter?

What tools do you have at the moment?

Are you planning on manufacturing the kitchens or just fitting them?

Snezza.

Thinking the same thing Snezza