Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting a normal appliance and making it look intergrated
Hello everyone

I was wondering if you could help me resolve my kitchen problem. I want to fit a kitchen along with appliances and want to get the finished look of an integrated kitchen however I dont want to spend the extra money on integrated appliances. So I am going to fit standard appliances where possible and fit a door in front of them. This means I have to get a deeper kitchen worktop which is fine.

The problem Im having relates the the plinth at the bottom of the base cupboards. The way a standard larder fridge opens is obstructed by the height of the plinth, so Im finding it difficult to install it and make it look neat. My only option is to cut the plinth so there is a gap where the plinth goes under the fridge.

Can any one offer any suggestions to get round this problem

Thanks

John

Guest Wrote:Hello everyone

I was wondering if you could help me resolve my kitchen problem. I want to fit a kitchen along with appliances and want to get the finished look of an integrated kitchen however I dont want to spend the extra money on integrated appliances. So I am going to fit standard appliances where possible and fit a door in front of them. This means I have to get a deeper kitchen worktop which is fine.

The problem Im having relates the the plinth at the bottom of the base cupboards. The way a standard larder fridge opens is obstructed by the height of the plinth, so Im finding it difficult to install it and make it look neat. My only option is to cut the plinth so there is a gap where the plinth goes under the fridge.

Can any one offer any suggestions to get round this problem

Thanks

John

are you talking about fitting cabinet doors in front of a freestanding fridge?
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.
Benjamin Franklin

You've answered your own question here John. It's never going to look good. You won't get that "integrated look" just by chucking a couple of doors across.
Besides anything else, you need a gap of wider than 600mm as you won't get the appliance in past the hinges.

My advice is spend the extra money or leave them freestanding

Hello marc1106

I am talking about fitting cabinet doors infront of a free standing fridge.

Thanks Stretch for your quick reply

I am going to have an integrated dishwasher and washing machine and would love an integrated undercounter fridge and under counter freezer but my budget wont stretch that far. I was hoping that with a 500mm firidge and 500mm freezer I could get away with fitting them in a 600mm base unit using a deeper worktop it wouldnt matter that the cabinet door and fridge door dont open as one door I just wanted it to look integrated. I hadnt considered the hinges being an obstacle, I only identified the plinth height.

If I did manage to overcome the hinge problem would there be anyway of overcoming the plinth problem?

I've tried this before, and its more hassle than its worth. Most worktop depths are either 600, 670 and 900. I found that even a 670 was not deep enough! Place a base cabinet either side of your washer machine and then put a level or any straight edge across them bother, so the washing machine door is in line with base cabs. You will be surprised how deep a washing machine is. Also if obstructions behind the machine can case problems. Then base cabs will all need packing out from the wall. Ideally you need a 900 ripping down to correct depth. Its just not worth the time and effort (and costs you pay fitter).
Take Stretch's advice.

I dont mean to put you off the idea, but it will be worth you discussing this with the fitter first and getting them to take a look. In your case it may be possible with no problems. But I found it to be very time consuming.

forget how it will look! it wont work because of the ventilation requirements for a free standing fridge are completly different to an integrated model! so even if you do suceed you will probably half the lifespan of the fridge and definatly invalidate any warranty! in my opinion it is a BAD BAD idea! just leave it freestanding if youve already purchased it if not get an integrated model.
Benjamin Franklin

A good point Marc. But even if you decide to house the washing maching/dishwasher, a standard 595 door will look crap, as you will need at least some space for the hinges, and a bit on the other side. So wont fit!

roxy002 Wrote:A good point Marc. But even if you decide to house the washing maching/dishwasher, a standard 595 door will look crap, as you will need at least some space for the hinges, and a bit on the other side. So wont fit!

washing machines and D/Washers are easy to do 2x300 doors with a 50mm filler attached to one of them or you go to 2x400 doors and have enugh room to put the washing powders and sh*t behind the doors also! of course this all needs 650mm worktops minmum to work correctly!
Benjamin Franklin